The 12 Hows of Happiness
People often ask me what *one* book I’d recommend if they could only read one book. I had a hard time answering that question until I read Sonja Lyubomirsky’s brilliant The How of Happiness where she outlines the 12 scientifically proven ways we can boost our happiness.
Here they are:
1. Expressing Gratitude
2. Cultivating Optimism
3. Avoiding Overthinking and Social Comparison
4. Practicing Acts of Kindness
5. Nurturing Social Relationships
6. Developing Strategies for Coping
7. Learning to Forgive
8. Increasing Flow Experiences
9. Savoring Life’s Joys
10. Committing to Your Goals
11. Practicing Spirituality
12. Taking Care of Your Body: Meditation+Physical Activity + Acting Like a Happy Person
P.S. One of the coolest points Dr. L makes in the book is the fact that, as we decide what happiness practices to focus on, we want to avoid the “shoulds” and pick the ones that really inspire us! Why? Well, we’re much more likely to stick to the intrinsic goals that have deep personal meaning!
P.P.S. So, as you get inspired by all the Ideas in this book, focus on the ones that REALLY light you up! Not the ones you think you *should* do. Cool? Cool.